Staff evaluations

4 replies [Last post]
Anonymous
PrintPrint

We all dislike giving them, but how do you prepare prior to giving a somewhat negative performance review?  What's your method of "gearing up"?

Paul Walsh (not verified)
Negative Reviews

My approach has always been not to dwell on the negative but instead acknowledge it and offer a plan the employee can work on with your leadership to move themselves to a better place.  For example, do they need training?  Do they need an attitude overhaul?  This can work, provided they are not over their head in the job.  When that happens I think you have to help the employee understand that fact and help them find a new challenge that's better to suited to them, even if that's outside your organization.

In summary, providing a solution is part of the process.

Valerie Squires (not verified)
In this instance, a negative

In this instance, a negative attitude is the primary problem which is bleeding into various aspects of the job.  The employee is capable and has been provided ample training opportunities.  It can be very difficult to address an attitude as compared to skills which can be learned. 

Harshal Popat Nehete (not verified)
Positive Enforcement thru Reviews

I know I am extremely late in submitting my comment on this thread, however it really cought my attention as this is a typical issue across all industry verticals. Rather than giving a negative review which will not positively re-enforce or empower the employee to perform better, I would prefer to give a positive review about the strengths of that employee. How we utilize the employee strengths to its full potential and organizational benefit is the manager's skill.

Reasearch over a period of 30 years and a study of more than a million individuals has proved  that there exists more than 3200 different skills, and a set of various permitation combinations of skills in each individual, making every person almost unique in this world. Only 240 individuals in the entire world population of approximately 6,875,235,700 can have similar skill sets. Thus in 1 organization, the probability of 2 individuals having the same skillset is almost 0.

If we as managers can properly identify the skillsets/strengths of our employees, we can capitalize on the skillsets by tactfully assigning challenges in areas of the employee's strength, thus empowering him in his area of comfort and motivating. Ofcourse these factors should also be considered during the hiring process.

This provides high confidence that the employee will successfully complete the challange. The resultant positive review encourages the employee to constructively work on the areas of improvements, the manager can thus provide opportunities for his/her development.

In my opnion, negative reviews never works. Edward Demming said: " Workers are responsible for only 15% of the problems; the system for the other 85%. The system is the responsibility of the MANAGEMENT."

Hence I prefer staying away from negative reviews and stepup to my managerial role of ensuring adequate system, removal of obstucles, and other factors as above.

Thanks & Regards

Harshal Nehete

Nancy Codner (not verified)
Reviews

This is a very important topic. When i initially went to open I was expecting to see reviews on C·I·M as too how we are doing with the new layout· ie now increasing membership, now taking on new directors,  now doing other important things· I  feel members are not informed or engaged· what happened too new website, user friendly, i get calls and emails with questions and directs them and never hears anything on what happened after that· One recent one was how come you don`t have a direct line, a printed magazine or what are the benefits, how come applications have to go to Ontario.? questions, questions, questions! do they ever get answered?  

 

Hopefully!